Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hell Street

Watch the Hell Street Video on YouTube

Bubba as Satan
The idea for the song came to us on the way to Lippa's house one morning. As I was driving to his house, I passed Mitchell Road and for a split second, I misread the sign. All I saw was H-E-L-L. I quickly realized that wasn't right and then I saw the rest of the street sign. I laughed and told Bubba, who was sitting in the passenger seat, about what I had just seen.

"Hell Road? That sounds like a song," said Bubba.

"We already have a song called 'Chainsaws, Hookers and Blow'," I laughed. "Why not write a song called 'Hell Road'?"

"We are probably going there anyway."

"To where? Hell or Hell Road?" I asked.

"Both," said Bubba. Then he started tapping on the dashboard and working up a melody for the song. "It could go a little something like this," said Bubba as he tapped away at the dash. "I'm going down to Hell Road."

"What number?" I asked.

"666 Hell Road," laughed Bubba. "Maybe it goes a little something like this. '6 6 6 Hell Road!' What do you think?"

"I think we should write a song, make a video and dress you up as the devil. That would be funny."

"I don't know if I want to dress up like the devil."

"Come on, Bubba. It would be funny."

We arrived at Lippa's house and went to the basement where we usually hang out. Lippa was messing around on his computer and had a home-improvement show on the television. We hung out for a little while before we started talking about the song again.

"Bubba came up with a new song in the car on the way over," I told Lippa. Then I explained about the street sign and misreading it for Hell Road.

"Let me see your guitar," said Bubba to Lippa.

"Here you go, man," he said as he handed Bubba the acoustic guitar. "It's way out of tune."

"I don't give a shit," said Bubba as he began to strum away. "I don't know how to play this thing anyway."

We laughed as Bubba sang and attempted to play guitar. I believe I have mentioned before that Bubba can't play guitar worth a shit and he'd be the first one to tell you that. Before the end of his little impromptu jam session, Bubba changed 'Hell Road' to 'Hell Street' and he did a sketch about Satan ordering a pizza.

"That's it, man," I said. "That's the what the song is about."

"What's the song about?" asked Bubba.

"Satan ordering a pizza," I said. Then I explained to Lippa about dressing Bubba up as the devil and the three of us planned out the video.

"Now all we need is a guitarist to play the part," said Bubba. "I want it to sound heavy."

"Who can we get to play guitar?" I asked.

"I don't know," replied Bubba. "Chad has been asking me to come over his place and jam. He says he's got guitars, drums and a bass."

"Maybe we should go over there and check it out," I suggested. "You should call him."

"He usually has Mondays off," said Lippa. "The dump is closed and he's usually around."

"I'll send him a text and see if we can go over next Monday," said Bubba.

As it turned out, Chad Robishaw was free that following Monday and the three of us paid him a visit. It was the beginning of a musical collaboration from Hell!

Chad's studio, which is now called the BGC Studio, was in his basement and stocked with all of the equipment we needed to record the song 'Hell Street'. We explained the concept to Chad, who was quick to accept the position of guitarist in our little group. We told him what we wanted to do for the song and video.

"We can definitely do that," said Chad.

He was on board with doing the song and video. He understood the concept and he had a sense of humor just like the rest of us.

We wrote all of the music for the song that day and the following Monday, we got back together and recorded it. It only took us four to six hours to record the whole song. We used Bubba's four-track recording machine for the instruments. Two weeks later, we recorded the video.

We convinced my girlfriend, Tina, to play the voice on the phone and we recorded her lines one night while she and I were drinking Allen's Coffee Brandy (a favorite of Bubba and the Government Cheeze). I didn't write down her lines, I just told her what to say. We had plenty of outtakes because she kept messing up her lines (probably due to the brandy). It came out pretty good though. I was happy with her voice.

I recorded my lines as the devil because my voice is deeper than Bubba's and when I spoke into a voice modulator application on Bubba's iPhone, it sounded really cool and demonic.

Once everything was recorded, Bubba dumped it into Audacity (a freeware music recording and editing program) and made the final mix. Then it was time to make the video.
Bubba and Chad from Hell Street

Bubba, Lippa and I arrived at Chad's house around 9 o'clock in the morning and got everything set up while Bubba put on make-up and got into costume. Lippa and I set up the lighting and worked on blocking with Chad. I stood in for Bubba until he came to the studio.

Chad had this old mask of the devil. He told us to cut out the face and Bubba could use that as a mask. Once he painted his face red and put on the mask, he looked like Satan.

The video only took us a few hours to shoot. We did it all in one day. We used two different angles in the studio to give the video a multi-camera feel. Then we filmed Bubba playing the drums with the pig-head mask on. We went upstairs and recorded the opening scene and the end scene with Satan on the phone ordering the pizza. We used two different angles for those scenes. That was it! All we had left to do was edit the video, which didn't take me too long to do!

                                         The 4 Track                                                                              
                           
                                                    Chad working on the Hell Street Solo
That's me (Bubba) laying down hell St Vox
If you haven't seen the video, watch the Hell Street Video on YouTube!

www.facebook.com/bubbaandthegovernmentcheeze

www.youtube.com/bubba99471

No comments:

Post a Comment